TV Tropes pages on The Modding Tree and games

Game Page 32: The Fuel Tree by gapples2. Slow at the beginning, breaks under inflation by the end, but definitely showed promise and is quite original.

I tried writing about The Burning Tree and The Prestige Forest, but there’s no way to find five good examples and write a page of decent quality in games as short and underbuilt as those. Oh well, now that I started using the Discord, there’s plenty of trees in this forest.

2 Likes

Game Page 33: Tree Inc. by randomtuba. Short and sweet, the capitalism theme definitely matches a game of this sort, kinda wish we got that v.2.0.

2 Likes

Game Page 34: The Tree of Nerfs 2 by upvoid. Really expands the original and comes across as its own thing, which is ironic since several layers are homages to other incrementals. Still, as the first sequel made in the engine (AFAIK), its quality is impressive.

2 Likes

Game Page 35: The Tree of Life by pg132. This one was an amazing experience. So many layers and things to explore, probably the most ambitious mod ever, really cool theme and progression. As such, it’s only an honor to present the biggest TMT game page on TVT by far (original Prestige Tree’s was the biggest at 6000+ characters, this one has almost 12000).

2 Likes

Game Page 36: The Burning Tree by thefinaluptake. Did I say this one is so short that there wouldn’t be enough tropes? Actually, I managed to find them. So we’re fine there, and I probably deserve to go after small trees after finishing the biggest one. Still wish this one received a lot more content than this, but the idea was at least something.

1 Like

Game Page 37: Too Many Softcaps by softcapped. Another short one which had potential, kinda crumbles under inflation by the end… Perhaps it didn’t have enough softcaps?

3 Likes

Game Page 38: The Prestige Forest by unpingabot/thedev3l0per. Yay, another short tree, one that’s unavailable to people. Look on the bright side – at least The Multitree now has complete coverage!

2 Likes

Game Page 39: Despacit Tree Delta by Despacit. It actually feels rather developed and has a fair bit of content, even if it’s still slightly short and this stuff is inspired from other games.

I’ve also been updating existing pages with more entries and some corrections after revisiting some trees like The Milestone Tree and The Game Dev Tree. There are even subpages for speculation regarding The Communitree and The Tree of Life, and while it only has my thoughts so far, perhaps other tropers will add more there. There are some surprises planned for Game Page 40, so stay tuned.

3 Likes

Let’s kick off July with some surprises I promised!
Game Page 40: The Side Project by The Paper Pilot. Not much content in the game itself, but still a nice early look at Profectus and would love to see the original idea expanded.

This means that yes, The Paper Pilot now has a page!

In addition, I’ve decided to donate 1$ for every TMT game I’ve written a page on TV Tropes to Team Trees. This means 40 game pages = 40$ = 40 new trees! I’ll donate again for every 10 new pages, and I encourage others to help the planet as well.

And finally… Could it be? I’ve actually started development?

Well, it’s still extremely rough. I have a decent plan for the first five tabs (all of which will be part of the second layer shown as 01 here) and made a few small changes (I remembered to change the mod ID, ha). As I’m still inexperienced, I’ll probably ask for help on Discord occasionally and don’t expect seeing anything playable until August at least, but I still hope you’re looking forward to it.

5 Likes

Game Page 41: The Upgrading Tree by QwQe308. I like the idea of having to pick between different upgrades and see what works best. The challenges also really required to think through the setup. Some parts before you could have both Time and Space felt timewalled, though part of that might have been due to not using the optimal upgrades.

3 Likes

Game Page 42: The Ascension Tree by Semenar and The Paper Pilot. Not made in TMT or Profectus, but it is sometimes discussed on the TMT Discord. Idea is interesting, but as a game I don’t recommend playing past row 5 as it truly shows how mindnumbing procedural generation can be. Still, I’d argue it’s objectively better than The RNG Tree in terms of design overall.

3 Likes

No new page today (or for over a month, for that matter), but I’ve finished The Tree of Life’s extreme mode and the page has been expanded even further (16000+ characters now). Probably need a break or something short for now.

2 Likes

Game Page 43: The Factoree by Dystopia-user181. This one’s quite the gem, very understandable mechanics with an element of choice, an interesting theme, and a really unique graphical style. Maybe a little short.

1 Like

Game Page 44: The Prestige Rectangle by gapples2. You just know I had to save this game for this number. The concept’s fairly original, and I appreciate the inclusion of Grindless mode to make the game less repetitive. Plus The Challenge is slightly challenging with setup creation (no pun intended).

1 Like

Game Page 45: Prestige Universe by Seder3214. The game was definitely original and quite nice, though not all the parts feel ideally balanced or affect other systems.

2 Likes

Game Page 46: Collection of Everything by XtremeRusher. Shows a lot of promise. The gameplay mechanics feel original and natural, and I love the aesthetics with the various icons and tooltips.

2 Likes

Game Page 47: Infinite Softcaps by rft50. I like how it’s one of the few games to use Profectus (still hasn’t caught on, unfortunately) and the buyables having their effect steadily go up and down is interesting, to say the least. Sadly, it’s quite underdeveloped.

2 Likes

Woah! Awesome work :D

3 Likes

Game Page 48: Prestige Tree Condensed by downvoid. Just a quick game I’m technically already familiar with (since it is a mod of Rewritten, like an actual mod), but still a decent way to revisit it.

This means that downvoid has a page now!

3 Likes

Game Page 49: Advent Incremental by The Paper Pilot. Another Profectus game (we have four pages on them now), with a lot of variety and a great Christmas atmosphere.

2 Likes